AMC Alsatian

1971.98
Small sailor-made model of Armed Merchant Cruiser Alsatian, 1914-1917, made by the ship's carpenter, William Ball. AMC Alsatian was the flagship of the 10th Cruiser Squadron during the First World War. The funnels and superstructure are painted in wartime grey, with a black lower hull. The model displays at least 10 guns. The white ensign flies at the stern, and on the fore topmast is the white pennant of a Royal Navy Commodore 2nd Class (cross of St George with red spot in the upper quarter) - the vice admiral's flag, probably of Vice Admiral Tupper. Before being requisitioned Alsatian was owned by Liverpool's Allan Line, but post-war joined the Canadian Pacific fleet and was re-named the Empress of France in 1919.