Papers: minutes, correspondence, reports on training, general circulars, booklets. See attached catalogue for more details.
Catalogue introduction: A School of Navigation was established in the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, in 1910, and a course for marine cadets was started in 1912. Previous to this the Board of Trade had been approached by the College to obtain recognition of attendance at navigation classes, probably in a remission of sea service on lines similar to that given to other nautical institutions. This, and subsequent representations made to the Board for recognition of a cadet course and of senior courses, were turned down by the Board because the College was not a residential institution.
After the First World War, it was decided that official opposition might be broken down if all schools in England and Scotland took joint action. It was suggested that a meeting of responsible teachers of navigation should be held, which was held in Liverpool on 9 November 1917 at the Central Technical School, Byrom Street. The ports of Bristol, Liverpool, London, Plymouth, South Shields, Aberdeen, Greenock and Glasgow were represented. The meeting resolved that the Board of Trade be requested to accept a period of not more than twelve weeks spent in navigation school recognised for this purpose by the Board, as equivalent to the same period of sea service, for the purpose of qualifying for the Board's Certificates of Competency as Second Mate.
It was agreed that Shipowners' Associations and the Mercantile Marine Service Association should be asked for support. It was decided that the Body should remain in existence and be named the "Conference of Navigation Schools", meeting on future occasions for the discussion of subjects of professional importance. The word "Conference" was changed to Association in 1933.
Mr. W. Merrifield of Liverpool was elected Chairman. A printed letter was sent to the Board of Trade in May 1918, but the request for recognition was refused. The Association then appealed to the President to receive a deputation, which was heard on 8 June 1918 and the Board agreed to recognise the schools. A course for cadets preparatory to going to sea was drawn up, the conditions for the granting of a remission of sea service being announced by the Board of Trade in July 1919.
Further material can be found under reference D/ANS(A).