Ayrton Saunders and Company Ltd, wholesale and manufacturing chemists.
Ayrton Saunders was founded in 1868 in premises on Hanover Street in Liverpool city centre. The firm expanded and took premises in Park Lane (Liverpool) and Prenton (Birkenhead) as well as a branch in the Potteries. In the end the firm had to contract and the branches were closed, as did the fine building on Hanover Street, which still stands today (1999).
In 1987 the company was taken over by A.A.H. Pharmaceuticals and in 1990 they moved into new premises on Spindus Road in the Speke Hall Industrial Estate. The firm though was run by A.A.H. from its premises on West Lane, Runcorn.
In 1997 Mr. G.F. O’Brien of Liverpool, who owns a chain of retail chemist shops, purchased the name and runs the expanded business from Spindus Road.
On permanent loan this material was deposited in 1978, 1985, 1991 and 1998, with a gift of some papers in 1997.