Berengaria was built in Germany in 1913 for the Hamburg-Amerika Line and originally named Imperator. Intended to rival Britain’s Olympic, Titanic, Lusitania and Mauretania, she was the largest ship in the world. Given to Britain as part of Germany’s reparations after the war, she was bought by Cunard to replace Lusitania. Still named Imperator, her first voyage for Cunard was from Liverpool to New York in February 1920. She later sailed from Southampton and this was her only voyage from Liverpool. This builder’s-style model of the ship, scale 1:50, was donated to the museum by the Cunard Steamship Company.