Carfax Conduit card

Carfax Conduit

WAG 2451

Currently not on display

Information

Rimmer was an artist and architectural historian - he published many books examining historic buildings, illustrating them himself. He published 'Pleasant Spots Around Oxford' in 1878, for which this is a prepatory sketch. The published engravings were done by Percy Roberts after Rimmer's sketches. The Carfax Conduit was a water conduit that supplied the city of Oxford with water from 1617 until 1869. The structure was moved in 1787 to the grounds of Nuneham House, home of Earl Harcourt, where it still stands.