Cat Mummy Part
Head, neck and shoulders from a mummified cat that has been unwrapped of its bandages and broken apart. This is from the auction held in Liverpool on 10th February 1890 when an estimated 180,000 mummified cats, weighing 19.5 tons, were sold for fertilizer with a few being donated to the museum. The cats had been uncovered at Istabl Antar, near the settlement of Beni Hasan. The lioness goddess Pakhet (meaning ‘she who scratches’ or ‘the scratcher’) had a cult temple at Istabl Antar (sometimes known as Speos Artemidos) where thousands of mummified cats and other felines were given to Pakhet as a votive offering and then buried in catacombs. One of a group of mummified feline parts that entered into the Museum collections in 1890 (donated by Messrs Leventon & Co.) but not accessioned until 1978. CONDITION NOTE 1998: Bindings are missing from head, ears are hard and brittle, remnants of fur, discoloured, quite fragile under lower jaw and at break area of body, discoloured, surface dirt, has blue marks, white flecks on surface of head.