This cloth is one of three textiles, originally owned by J. H. Swainson, an agent for the Liverpool firm Pinnock & Co., who traded with Benin merchants in the 1890s. The three textiles (1981.388.1-3) were presented to the museum in 1981 by Peter Karpinski, who acquired them from his great aunt Flo, Swainson’s daughter. The cloth is made of plain weave in hand-spun cotton and indigo dyed stripes. The regular, narrow, indigo and plain warp stipes have fringes at both ends. Textiles were a major item of trade in the Edo Kingdom for centuries. There was a flourishing trade in cloth with European merchant mariners by the mid-seventeenth century. Dutch merchants at this time recognized two main types of cloth made in the Edo Kingdom which brought them a profitable resale on the western coast of Africa. They exchanged the blue and white striped variety for gold on the coast of present day Ghana. They exchanged plain blue ones for ivory and human captives on the coasts of Gabon and Angola (see Alan Ryder (1969), Benin and The Europeans 1485-1897, London and Harlow: Longmans. p.93-4).