Commemorative Altar Tusk card

Commemorative Altar Tusk

44.7b

Currently not on display

Information

This slightly charred tusk fragment was purchased with the larger badly charred tusk 44.7 and seems to have been considered a part of it. Like the large tusk, it may originally have been commissioned by Oba Ovonramwen at the start of his reign in 1888 to honour his father and predecessor Oba Adolo. The tusk fragment was sold to the museum by Ernest Ballard in 1944.