The Courtyard at Speke Hall
Speke Hall near Liverpool, dating from the 16th century, was a favourite subject for artists. This is a view from the door in the south front back, between the great yew trees. In the 1860s Speke became the home of the collector Frederick Richards Leyland. This painting was previously attributed to William Davis. On stylistic grounds it is now thought to be by James Campbell, who also painted under the influence of the Pre-Raphaelites. The painting was probably owned by John Miller (c.1796 - 1876), the Scottish-born, Liverpool-based merchant and collector of Pre-Raphaelite paintings.