Cup from Grove Street Welsh Chapel
This cup and saucer are marked 'Eglwys Gynulleidfaol’ [Congregational Church] Grove Street 1897'. The teaspoon bears the same mark. In the 19th and early 20th centuries Liverpool was home to a large Welsh community whose influence and legacy remain in the city today. The community, which numbered around 70,000 by the end of the 1800s, built over 90 places of worship. The museum's collection contains a number of objects that bear the names of the city's Welsh chapels. Many of Liverpool’s street names also reflect the Welsh people that built them with names such as Rhiwlas Street and Madryn Street, birthplace of The Beatle’s drummer Ringo Starr.