Davies Patent horse-drawn oil tanker card

Davies Patent horse-drawn oil tanker

1987.267

On display

Built by Joseph Atkinson of Liverpool this tanker was used by the Anglo-American Oil Company for door-to-door deliveries of oil for oil lamps. Anglo-American had a large depot in Liverpool, with stables and an office in Vauxhall Road. The oil tank is mounted on two wheels and would have been drawn by one horse. It is made to a patent of 1902 granted to Thomas Davies of Liverpool covering 'frameless' construction. It is a very important vehicle both in terms of its patentee and method of construction, and it typifies a kind of vehicle once common on the streets of Liverpool. Fleet No. 41 of Anglo-American Oil Co., Lightbody St., Liverpool. Maker's no. 6675/9/02