Design for Liverpool Cathedral
This drawing illustrates the second version of the design for the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880 - 1960). It shows the Cathedral from the south-west, towering over an imaginary group of houses. Scott won the competition to design the Cathedral in 1903. As he was only 22 when he won, Cathedral Committee asked George Frederick Bodley (1827 - 1907), one of the competition assessors, to act as joint architect. The main change made by Bodley was to move the Lady Chapel, which had been directly behind the altar in the prizewinning design, to the south-east, as seen in the Curtis Green drawing. Curtis Green was a prolific and talented architectural draughtsman and his drawings appeared in many architectural periodicals. This drawing was reproduced in 'The Builder' for 7 January 1905 to illustrate the progress of the Cathedral's design.