Dish card

Dish

48.20.6

Currently not on display

Information

This shallow dish in orange ware, with roughened surface and red painted rim, was given to the museum on permanent loan from the University of Liverpool in 1948. This was done when the university's Institute of Archaeology closed in 1948 and split into three departments - Egyptology, Classical Archaeology and Prehistoric Archaeology of Western Europe. The Institute's small collection of African pottery and its large collection of ceramics from Central and South America fell outside the scope of these new departments, so these were given to the museum on permanent loan. In 2000 the University of Liverpool converted all of its loans to the museum into a gift.