H.E. Moss & Co., Ltd., was originally founded in 1827 in Liverpool by Mr. Henry Elias Moss as a coal merchant, silversmith and pawnbroker. This business extended in 1854 to shipbroker, including sale and purchase, chartering, valuations, ships agency and ships management. In 1860 an office opened in London and in 1886 another office opened in Newcastle. The Newcastle office closed in 1966. In 1964 the company was bought by T. & J. Brocklebank Ltd., but continued to trade until at least 1986.
This collection includes minute books with letters of resignation and employment acceptance, 1975-1986; partnership agreements, dissolutions and letters, 1867-1917; H.E. Moss & Co., Ltd.'s steam ship circular notice, 1872; H.M. Cohan grave certificates, 1920 and assignments, 1937.