Exchange Buildings and Nelson's Monument, Liverpool, 1828
Nelson's Monument was created between 1808 - 1813 by Mathew Cotes Wyatt and Richard Westmacott. After the Battle of Trafalgar, many monuments to Nelson were erected across England, and Liverpool was quick off the mark with its design. The Exchange Buildings in this image are no longer standing. Built in 1803 - 1808 by John Foster Senior, possibly with James Wyatt, they were replaced first with a French Renaissance building by T H Wyatt, built between 1864 - 1867, and then again by the current building which was begun in 1939 and completed in 1955, following interruption due to World War II.