This variation of the penny-farthing has pedals which are operated by moving them up and down, and this motion drives the front wheel by a system of levers and cranks. The 'Facile' was patented by John Beale and introduced in 1878. Because the rider was positioned further back they were less likely to tip over the handlebars. The bike was manufactured around 1880 and is believed to have been used in the Liverpool area. It was donated to the museum in 1910. Wheel diameters: front 42in (1.07m), rear 23in (0.58m).