The Folly at Ince Blundell Hall
A folly is a purpose-built decorative building with no practical use, usually expensive to build and often found in a large garden or parkland attached to a landed estate. Such features became increasingly popular during the 18th century with the rise of landscape gardening. Ince Blundell Hall was built in what is now Sefton between 1720 and 1750. The grounds were landscaped, and included the folly seen here. The Hall can be seen in the distance. Henry Blundell, owner of the estate form 1761, put together an impressive collection of marble statues, paintings and furniture. The statues, and some of the paintings and furniture, are now in the collections at National Museums Liverpool as the Ince-Blundell Collection.