Francis Morton and Company Ltd, Iron Merchants, Records
The company dates from 1766 when John Morton established a Chandler's business in Cable Street, Liverpool. By 1847 the firm was trading as the "Galvanised Iron Merchants", and run by Francis and Henry Morton. In 1858 Henry retired; Francis carried on alone and opened offices at 27 James Street and acquired works premises in Bevington Bush, and in 1863 additional works at Marybone. Between 1863 and 1870, Francis Morton died, and to provide funds, the business was formed into a limited liability company, under the new Act of 1861, becoming one of the first firms in Liverpool to be so formed. The company prospered and built a new works in Naylor Street, but by 1880 there was again a need to look for new premises. In 1880 Morton's took over the Windsor Iron Works in Garston, run by Colonel Hamilton. The premises were ideal and Morton's expanded, increased production, and won orders from all over the world, for their fences, gates, iron schools, churches and railway buildings. One of the first contracts at the new site was for the main girders of the Overhead Railway, work on which started in 1889. By now they had offices in London, Sheffield and Glasgow. The archive consists of a letterbook and 5 catalogues. There are also some newscuttings, extracts from books and other articles. Also 2 postcards from St. Helier in Jersey, with views of a Morton building. For more details see the attached catalogue.