H. C. Hawley and Company
This is a rare example of a surviving archive of a firm of merchants and exporters of what was once a very important element in Liverpool’s trade, namely ceramics, along with glassware and cutlery, much of which was destined for West Africa. The company was founded in 1850 and was based in Cleveland Square throughout. The Pennington Family, descendants of the local pottery dynasty, also joined the firm, P.S. Pennington being the last surviving partner. The business was wound up following his death in 1979.