Human Remains; Mummified Body
Mummified woman within a coffin inscribed with the name Ta-iani. The outer wrappings are still in place although somewhat discoloured. The hands are separately wrapped and resting on the thighs. The wrapped head is now detached from the rest of the body. The mummy and coffin formed part of the group presented to the Prince of Wales during his visit to Egypt in 1868-9 (Birch, 1870). The coffin and mummy were later given to the Museum of the Literary and Scientific Institution, Huntingdon. In 1928 they were transferred to New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, Leicester, on permanent loan; and in 1955 transferred to Liverpool.