Indefatigable and National Sea Training School for Boys.
In 1864 John Clint (d.1868), a Liverpool seaman and shipowner, founded a charitable institution to provide a secure environment in which to train the sons of sailors, destitute and orphaned boys, to become merchant seamen. The original definition was that it would cater "for the sons and orphans of sailors who are without means, preference being given to those whose fathers had been connected with the Port of Liverpool".
The first Indefatigable, a 4th rate 50 gun frigate launched in 1849, was loaned by the Admiralty and moored off New Ferry in the River Mersey in 1864. Mr. James Bibby contributed £5,000 to transform her from a fighting ship into a training ship, and this was to be the start of a long association between the Bibby family and the school.
The ship remained there for over 50 years until 1912, when it was declared unfit for further service. The 2nd class protected cruiser, HMS Phaeton, was purchased by the Admiralty in 1913 and renamed the Indefatigable. In 1941 the war forced the establishment onto land, first at temporary accommodation in North Wales, and later in 1944 at Plas Llanfair, Anglesey.
1944 saw an amalgamation with the Lancashire National Sea Training Homes for Boys and a renaming to the "Indefatigable and National Sea Training School for Boys". Many of the boys who trained on the Indefatigable went on to have long and successful careers in the Merchant or Royal Navy. The school closed in 1995. There is an Old Boys Association for ex-pupils.
See attached catalogue or connected records for details of the collection.