Ink stand from Princes Road Synagogue
Reverend Professor Jacob Prag was presented with this silver inkstand, 10 April, 1881, by members of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation in recognition of 25 years service as their minister, 5615 – 5640: 1855-1880. The elaborate inkstand in the shape of a Synagogue has three hinged domes which reveal the ink holders inside. The front panel features an engraving of the impressive exterior of Princes Road Synagogue, Toxteth; the place of worship of Rabbi Prag. Members of the Jewish community began to settle in Liverpool from the 1700s. The first purpose-built Synagogue was opened in 1807 on Seel Street. The Old Hebrew Congregation left their original premises and moved to the new Synagogue on Princes Road in 1874. The Synagogue is more than a place of worship - it is a focus for the community.