Inscribed Hammer Stone Model

16.9.02.16
Votive model of a bivalve-shaped hammer stone with the throne name of Thutmose III in a cartouche (Menkheperra), painted in red. Some trace of blue pigment in places. From a foundation deposit buried beneath the Temple of Osiris at Abydos. Pre-1939 label reads "ARAGONITE SHELL. From the foundation deposit of a temple of Thothmes III at Abydos. XVIIIth Dynasty". Compare with a "clam-shell-shaped hammer" inscribed with the name of Thutmose III from a foundation deposit in tomb KV 42 in the Valley of the Kings, Thebes (MMA 32.2.21).