Jug 'Welch Presbyterian Chapel'
This blue and white jug is inscribed ‘Welch Presbyterian Chapel, Fitz Clarence Street Liverpool 1866’. It was made by Staffordshire pottery makers Davenport and relates to the chapel in Everton designed by Welsh architect Richard Owens in 1864. It was probably made to celebrate the chapel’s opening. In the 19th and early 20th centuries Liverpool was home to a large Welsh community whose influence and legacy remain in the city today. The community, which numbered around 70,000 by the end of the 1800s, built over 90 places of worship. The museum's collection contains a number of objects that bear the names of the city's Welsh chapels. Many of Liverpool’s street names also reflect the Welsh people that built them with names such as Rhiwlas Street and Madryn Street, birthplace of The Beatle’s drummer Ringo Starr.