Gold medalet showing Bishop Liudhard, whose arrival in Kent from the Frankish court started the conversion of the Anglo-Saxons to Christianity. The medalet was probably given to an early convert.
Obv. LEV.DΛR.D V~.EP~, B CKWARDS. Bust right wearing diadem and robe with border of dots, folds rendered with vertical bands, transverse bands below neck. Beaded border.
Rev. Ornamental patriarchal cross on semicircular base, with broad semi-circle standing on exergual line and cutting across cross shaft. Upper cross arm has two short hanging pendants, lower arms terminate in vertical bars. A small ring encircles junction of lower arms with shaft. Above cross [upside down] Ѧ Ѧ to either side NINƆ ; in exergue VΛV. Beaded border.
Loop made from strip of corrugate gold strip, soldered at either side to extreme edge below beading. Now squashed. Coin and loop of good orange gold. Coin shows some wear on bust, and border. Loop also shows slight wear. Artist accustomed to making runic letters.
It is one of a group of coin pendants and ornaments from St. Martin's Church, Canterbury, conventionally called a 'hoard', found before 1844.