This Liver Bird finial, a symbol of Liverpool, took pride of place on the very top of the original St John's Market building in Liverpool. The building, situated between Great Charlotte Street and Market Street, which opened in 1822, was one of the first large scale covered markets. The ornate interior of the market was divided into five shopping avenues, corresponding to different food groups, and at night was lit by gas.
In 1964 the market was demolished as part of the redevelopment of the city centre to make way for St John's Shopping Centre. The Liver Bird was saved and kindly donated to our collections.