The Microscopical Society of Liverpool was founded in 1868 by members of the Liverpool Natural History and Microscopical Society and the Liverpool Microscopical Club. The LNHMS continued to function seperately until 1888 when it was dissolved due to lack of membership. The MSL changed its name to LMS between 1874 and 1884. The Society developed a collection of slides for loan and in 1875 opened a specialist library. These assets were transfered to Liverpool Museum in April 2001. Related material is held at the British Library and Liverpool Central Library.