Mill on Site of Liverpool Cathedral card

Mill on Site of Liverpool Cathedral

WAG 2433

Currently not on display

Information

This watercolour by an unidentified British artist shows a view from St James's Mount in Liverpool. Formerly a quarry, it is now the site of Liverpool Cathedral and St James's Cemetery. The prominent square tower just left of centre is St Mark's church, Upper Duke Street, once one of Liverpool's largest churches. St Mark's was built in 1803 and demolished in 1923; the tower was removed in the 1830s, suggesting this watercolour was produced before then. The dome of the Town Hall is glimpsed in the distance, with the River Mersey seen beyond. Another view of this mill was published by S & G Nicholas in 'Twenty-six views in the vicinity of Liverpool', 1820. It was republished by W G Herdman in 'Pictorial Relics of Ancient Liverpool', 1843, p.48.