Mummified cats were given as gifts to goddesses who were associated with cats and lions, such as Bastet, Pakhet and Sekhmet. The body of this cat is wrapped in linen bandages of two colours, the outer bandages of which have now become loose. The face has been covered with one piece of linen which is painted with facial features and decoration in black and red. Two folds of linen give the impression of the cat’s ears. Given to Gloucester Museum in 1938 by Mrs Watkins Lewis of Rodborough Court, Stroud.