Mummy Label

56.20.486b
Mummy label with four lines of an inscription in Coptic written in black ink on one side. Pierced at the top for attachment to the mummy. During the Roman period, such labels were attached to the mummies of deceased individuals as a means of identification to transport them from their home to the correct place of burial. For more information, see the Mummy Label Database Project (Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and CSIC Madrid): https://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/mummy-label-database-mld. Collected by William Frankland Hood in near Thebes, some time between 1851 - 1861.