Painted tray, featuring Liverpool Sailors' Home
Liverpool was home to seafarers from West Africa, China, Scandinavia, Italy, Spain, the Philippines, Malaysia and elsewhere. Liverpool Sailors' Home opened in Canning Place in 1850, and provided a safe place for seafarers to stay while in port. Architect John Cunningham based his design on a ship, creating individual cabins and incorporating nautical symbols throughout. It closed in 1969.