Photograph of Princes Dock and Liverpool Overhead Railway
This is an image of Princes Dock and Liverpool Overhead Railway around 1954. In the beginning, the track originally spanned just five miles from Alexandra Dock to Herculaneum Dock. On 21 December 1896, the line had a southern extension to Dingle Station, with the entrance at Kedleston Street near Park Road. Unlike the other stations, Dingle station entered a tunnel and had an underground railway station. The line had been previously extended with a northern terminus at Seaforth on April 30 1894 resulting in a round trip of over 13 miles.