This Victorian ‘Penfold’ pillar box is a rare survivor. In 1866, architect, J.W. Penfold, was commissioned to design a new standardised pillar box. These hexagonal boxes, with the top decorated by acanthus leaves, bud and decorative balls, were produced in three sizes by Cochrane, Grove & Co of Dudley, and were named after its designer. This particular box, which was originally sited in Chirkdale Street, Walton, is an early example, with the aperture high up on the box. After complaints that letters were getting stuck in the top, the aperture was moved further down in later designs. These hexagonal boxes were issued between 1866 and 1879, with various design changes in this time.