Port side propeller (4 bladed) and cone from the wreck of RMS Lusitania
This 22.5 ton, four-bladed propeller is one of four which drove Cunard's RMS Lusitania across the Atlantic on her tragic final voyage in May 1915.
It was the most complete of the three salvaged from the wreck off Southern Ireland in 1982 and was purchased by the Merseyside Maritime Museum in 1989. The propeller has been displayed on the museum’s historic quaysides ever since.
Each year on 7 May, the anniversary of the sinking of the ship by the German submarine U-20, a service of commemoration is held at the propeller for the 1191 victims of this incident.