Fragment of white glazed stoneware lidded jar. Printed with central flag of four ovals arranged in a diagonal cross, surrounded by name of company in circular banner – “THE CHARENTE[ STEA]M SHIP COMPANY LIMTED”. T&J Harrison shipping line was founded by brothers Thomas and James Harrison in 1853. It ran both cargo and passenger services, focussing on the import of brandy and wines from the Charente area around Cognac. The Charente Steamship Company was founded in 1871, and Thomas and James Harrison were the managers. In 1884 to take advantage of the Limited Liability Law, the Charente Steamship Company Limited was formed. The ‘Limited’ title of the company places this vessel no earlier than 1884.