The Wireless Telegraph and Signal Co. was formed in 1897 by Guglielmo Marconi, the pioneer of radio telegraphy. Premises were acquired in Chelmsford and in 1900 the company's name became "Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Co." In 1963 the "Marconi Co." was formed. In 1900 the Marconi International Marine Communication Co., Ltd. was formed and the world's first wireless school was opened at Frinton. Under the Merchant Shipping Act of 1919, all persons operating radio-telegraph apparatus on British shipping were required to hold either 1st or 2nd Class Certificates of Proficiency. The examinations were taken at various technical colleges throughout Britain and also at the ship inspection depots at Liverpool, Cardiff and Newcastle.
The archive collection comprises the results of the London and provincial based schools and is roughly divided between 1st and 2nd Class Certificates with their corresponding certificate numbers. The collection also includes two volumes of "Watcher's Certificates" and "Records Certificates" issued under the guidelines of the Washington Convention (1927), the Atlantic City Convention (1949) and the Buenos Aries Convention (1949). See attached list.