Records of Keizer Venesta Limited, watch makers, glass makers and plywood manufacturers.
Keizer Venesta Ltd. started in St. Anne Street, Liverpool in 1817, where Joseph Chiesa traded as "Carver, Gilder and Glass Merchant". By 1839, A. Greener had joined him in partnership. In 1842 L. Keizer joined Chiesa and Leopold Rohrer in partnership, who were now trading as "Carvers & Gilders, Looking Glass & Clock Makers & Dealers in Plate Glass". In 1902 on L. Keizer's death, the watchmaking business was sold off and the glass side, which continued trading as L. Keizer & Co., Ltd., developed rapidly. Larger premises on St. Anne Street were leased and the business was incorporated as a limited company. In 1967 the glass company was sold after 150 years in the business, but the name L. Keizer was retained. However, the woodworking side had expanded and concentrated on supplying plywood for the shipbuilding industry. They were so successful that by 1939 they claimed to have supplied plywood to the leading shipbuilders, for vessels such as the Empress of Britain, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. In 1965 the company merged with Venesta Plywood, after many years of co-operation, and became known as Keizer Venesta Ltd. For more details see the attached catalogue.