This Association was formed in 1853, six years after the abolition of the Corn Laws, to develop standards of trade conduct and fair dealing. It coincided with a sharp increase in imported grain, which had started in the second quarter of the century, due to the doubling of the population from 10 to 20 million between 1801 and 1851.
The development of US and Canadian wheat had not surprisingly, a dramatic effect, as corn had largely been supplied by Eastern Europe before North America entered the market. During the two World Wars, the government stepped in to regulate the supply of grain. The controls were lifted in 1921 and 1953 respectively. The Corn Exchange was destroyed in the Blitz of 1941. Many records were lost, hence deficiencies in the runs, while some records show signs of charring.
The collection also includes records of Liverpool Grain Contract Insurance Co., the Liverpool Corn Trade Guild, Liverpool Corn Trade Clerk's Guild and Liverpool Commodity Trade Association. For more details see the attached catalogue.