Records of the Liverpool Hydraulic Power Company
The firm was established in 1884 and its hydraulic mains served the whole of the business centre of the city, covering 30 miles in all. The central pumping station was in Athol Street. The power it produced was used for lifts, cranes, capstans, machinery and fire protection. In addition to these records, there are 3 drawers of O.S. 10 ft. plans which show the routes for the mains. For an understanding of the technology, reference may be made to A.E. Jarvis, Hydraulic Machines (Shire, 1985). For further details see the attached catalogue.