Records of Liverpool Sailors' Home.
3 volumes relating to Liverpool Sailors' Home: The Navy League - subscribers and donors to the poor boys sea training school 1903-04; advances to seamen 1939-69; expenditure books (domestic accounts) [2 volumes] 1944-50. The Liverpool Sailors' Home The idea that seafarers should have special low cost accommodation separate from that available in boarding houses, was expressed publicly by the Reverend G.C. Smith of the Mariner's Church, London in the early 1820s. Smith wished to found an establishment which would provide accommodation, banking and employment services for seafarers between voyages. The first Sailor's Home, in Well Street, London, opened in 1835. It was at Liverpool that the first efforts to emulate the Sailor's Home in London were made. A number of shipowners, merchants and inhabitants held a meeting on the 25 February 1837, in the Underwriters Committee-room, but the provisional committee lapsed when the Corporation and Dock Trustees declined assistance. A reformed committee achieved subscriptions for £1,800 by the 14 April 1841, but it was not until 10 May 1844 when the Council allocated land, that the plan proceeded. Temporary premises were opened in Bath Street in 1845, and the Liverpool Sailors' Home in Canning Place was opened in 1850. The Home provided much needed relief to seafarers in Liverpool, especially during the depression years and the two World Wars. Unfortunately, by the 1960s the Home was unable to cater for the modern sailor, its accommodation being too basic, and with dwindling numbers it was closed in 1969, and the Canning Place premises were demolished. However, the residential work of the Home continued in premises at Aigburth, until 1975. In 1976 the Trustees formed the Liverpool Sailors' Home Trust, which continues to support seafaring organisations on board ship and retired Liverpool seafarers in their own homes. The Navy League The Navy League began in 1896 as the Liverpool Branch of the Navy League. From 1907 to 1908 the Home was called The Lancashire (Navy League) Home for Poor Boys. In 1908 the name changed to the Lancashire (Navy League) and National Sea Training Home for Poor Boys. In 1913 the words "Navy League" were dropped, while the word "Poor" was eliminated in 1916. The name Lancashire and National Sea Training Home for Boys continued till the merger with the Indefatigable in c.1945.