Records of the Union Marine & General Insurance Company, Ltd.



The Union Marine & General Insurance Co., Ltd. received its Certificate of Incorporation on 15 January 1863, and commenced business in Liverpool on 2 February 1863. The company was based on a merger between Charles Langton & Co. and Rawson, Aikin & Co. A London office was opened in 1864. In 1893 the company took over the International Marine Insurance Co., Ltd. In 1911 the company merged with the Phoenix Co., a general insurance firm. In 1931 the firm changed its name to the Union Marine & General Insurance Co., Ltd. In 1905 the firm moved into new headquarters, the Union Marine Buildings at 11 Dale Street, Liverpool. The company is still trading and is based in Horsham, West Sussex. For a published history of the firm, see B/UM/G/2/1 (1913) and B/UM/G/2/2 (1963). The collection comprises accounts, agency records, board files, claims records, investment valuations and staff records, and covers the years 1845 - 1986. For further details see the attached catalogue or contact The Archives Centre for a copy of the catalogue. Some of the collection remains uncatalogued. The collection is stored offsite and will be recalled upon request. Please contact The Archives Centre with details of the items you wish to consult and to arrange a visit to the Searchroom.