Records relating to Bahr, Behrend & Company Ltd, shipbrokers

B/BB
Bahr, Behrend & Co., Ltd., traces its origins back to Lorentz Hansen, whose name first appears in Gore's Liverpool Directory for 1790 as a book-keeper. As a ship broker Hansen was successful. Charles Louis Bahr became his partner in 1814 and in 1835 as sole partner, Bahr was joined by two other Liverpool shipbrokers, David Behrend and Henry Alexander Stewart. The firm was hence forward known as Bahr, Behrend & Stewart until Stewart left in 1847. Bahr, Behrend & Co. remained in private partnership until 1 June 1958 when it became a private limited company. As shipbrokers Bahr, Behrend & Co., Ltd., also have a controlling interest in Bahr, Behrend & Co. (Chartering) Ltd., Bahr, Behrend, Roberts & Co., Ltd., and Bahr Trustees Ltd. For further details see the attached catalogue.