The Rialto Bridge, Venice
The Rialto Bridge was built in 1588 - 1592 by Italian architect, Antonio Da Ponte (about 1512 - 1597), to replace an existing wooden structure, and until 1854 it was the only pedestrian crossing of the Grand Canal. It stood at the centre of the business quarter of Renaissance Venice, and today the Rialto district is still the city's main market and trading area. The bridge was one of Holland's favourite Venetian subjects, and numerous watercolours of it are known, in addition to oils. In Holland's hands the scene is rather cool and studied; the curved arch of the bridge anchoring the composition within the painting's circular format. Holland exhibited a painting of this title in 1855.