RMS Carmania

1970.244.42

On display

Carmania was built by John Brown & Co. of Glasgow and launched in February 1905. At the time, she and her sister ship Caronia were the largest ships in Cunard’s fleet. Carmania was requisitioned for military service as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. Her most noticeable action came on the 14 September when she sank the Cap Trafalgar. Later she patrolled the Portuguese coast and was involved in the disastrous Gallipoli campaign. After the war she carried Canadian troops back home.