RSPCA horse flag
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) was the only UK animal charity to be recognised and authorised by the Army Council to collect funds on behalf of British War horses. They became an auxiliary of the Army Veterinary Corps. By 1915, over 50% of the RSPCA’s inspectors and other staff were serving with the armed forces. Most enlisted into the Army Veterinary Corps (AVC) and these men initially led the training of new recruits as the AVC expanded.