Sarcophagus of Insw
Limestone sarcophagus of Insw (inSw), singer of Amun. One of two painted limestone coffins (sarcophagi) found in tomb 127 E’05 at Esna, described by the excavator, John Garstang, as being well built with a vaulted roof. The coffin was found in fragments, without lid, and was roughly assembled in the field for photography before sent to this museum in November 1905 where the sarcophagus was restored and exhibited with the label 'stone sarcophagus of Anu, a singer in the temple of Amun'. Unfortunately the sarcophagus was left on display in the Second World War and was destroyed by fire in May 1941. An archive photograph taken in 1932 shows the sarcophagus on display in the centre of the Main Hall in Case 43, positioned beneath the coffin of Redetankh (no.13.12.05.26). The sides were incised with images of Anubis and the Sons of Horus, each named in vertical bands of inscription which begin from the head end of the coffin. On the right side, near the head, were a pair of wadjet eyes above an image of a door that gave magical assistance for the dead to leave the coffin. The decoration resembles black painted wood coffins with yellow decoration, which were in use from the reign of Hatshepsut-Thutmose III to the reign of Ramesses II. DESTROYED IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR. Dimensions not recorded.