Shabti of Djehutyirdis

1971.242

On display

Mummiform shabti wearing a tripartite wig with striations very neatly added in the modelling, and a plaited divine beard. The wig is worn low on the forehead. The arms are crossed right over left on the chest, and the hands protrude from a shroud to hold a pick in the left and a hoe in the right. The right hand also holds the twisted rope for a basket that is carried behind the left shoulder. The face is very finely worked, with almond–shaped eyes, and slender brows modelled in relief. The mouth has a gentle smile, and the ears are particularly well–defined. A dorsal pillar supports the figure, and it stands upon a trapezoidal base. The body of the shabti has a ‘T’–shaped inscription that names the owner as Djehutyirdis. The tomb of Djehutyirdis was first discovered by local tomb robbers at Tuna el–Gebel in 1910. It was subsequently explored by Raymond Weill. Translation of the inscription: The illuminated one, the Osiris, the Great of Five, the God’s Servant, the One who knows what exists, Djehuty–ir–dis, born to Nephthys–ity, justified