Shabti of Satmut
Dried clay with an inscription added in black. Mummiform shabti wearing a plain tripartite wig. The arms are comparatively well modelled in relief, and are crossed left over right on the chest. The hands hold a pair of small hoes that are also shown in relief. The face is quite small, and with the details fairly well defined. Flat–backed with no trace of a basket being carried. A hieratic inscription added in black on the front reads: “The Lady of the House, Satmut”. Another shabti in the collection for this owner [no. 1963.188.38] has a clearer and longer inscription which reads: The Chantress of Amun, the Lady of the House, Satmut. An old label with object is annotated in ink: "Ancient Egyptian. Statuette of very curious form BC 500-400 with hieroglyphics. Excavated at Gurob. From the Tyndale collection." The cemeteries at Gurob were excavated by Loat in 1904 and by Brunton and Engelbach in 1920. No shabtis for Satmut appear to be recorded in the publications that subsequently followed these excavations. Brunton and Engelbach comment that the main cemetery (Cemetery W) had been heavily plundered by antiquities dealers, resulting in the loss of ‘at least 500’ tombs.