Signal Linesmen - Catania
Stevenson trained and taught at the Liverpool School of Art. He also taught at the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London. He served five years with the RAF and during the Second World War was a pilot and then airfield reconaissance in Britian's campaigns in North Africa, Sicily (where he painted this watercolour), Italy and France-Germany. He was mentioned in dispatches for the France-Germany campaign, and received an OBE. Stevenson painted the ceiling of the Bluecoat Chambers Concert Hall, but this was blitzed in 1942 and only photos survive. He also provided scultpure for St Monica's Church in Bootle. His oil paintings are in the collections of the Walker, the Victoria Museum and Art Gallery (University of Liverpool) and Manchester Art Gallery.