St. Georges Church, Liverpool, 1828 card

St. Georges Church, Liverpool, 1828

WAG 1548

Currently not on display

Information

St George's Church in Derby Square, Liverpool was designed by the dock architect, Thomas Steers, and was opened in 1726. The church was built on the site of the former Liverpool Castle. It was extensively rebuilt between 1809 - 1825 after it was discovered that the tower had been built over the rubble-filled castle moat, so had begun to settle and crack. The church was previously the Corporation church, where the Corporation and the Major often worshipped. After a Jewish Mayor, Charles Mozley (1797 - 1881), was appointed in Liverpool in 1863, an anti-Semitic sermon was preached, which led to the abandonment of the church by the Corporation. It eventually closed in 1897 and was demolished two years later. The Victoria Monument now stands on the site.